Working in the construction and infrastructure sector is rewarding, but it’s not without its challenges. At L.C.L. Excavation (2006) Inc., we believe in transparency and want to address both industry-wide issues and those unique to our company. We’re committed to offering a candid look at what it’s like to be part of our team, ensuring you have all the information you need to make an informed decision.
1. Hard Work, Manual Labor, and Outdoor Exposure
The nature of our industry often involves manual labor and working outdoors, which can be physically demanding, especially during inclement weather. The Maritime provinces can experience cold and challenging conditions.
2. Long Hours
Construction projects often require long hours, and it’s essential to be prepared for extended workdays, which can be common in the industry.
3. Seasonal Employment
The construction industry tends to be seasonal. Projects are heavily dependent on weather conditions, and this can result in fluctuations in employment opportunities.
1. Long Working Hours Compared to Competition
At L.C.L. Excavation, we often work longer hours compared to some other companies, starting at 6 AM and extending until 8 PM. It’s important to note that working hours can vary significantly between construction companies. We choose to work extended hours but compensate with a 4-day work week, which gives our employees more time for personal pursuits. Weekend work is rare.
2. High-Paced, High Production, High Expectations
We take pride in being a motivated and results-oriented company. Our high production expectations and fast-paced work environment may not be suitable for everyone. Some individuals may find it challenging to keep up with the pace of our team.
3. Many Geographical Areas: A Different Kind of “Small Company”
At L.C.L. Excavation (2006) Inc., we pride ourselves on being a small company with a distinct difference. Unlike many small businesses that are solely rooted in one city, we’ve expanded our presence across various locations, serving all of New Brunswick while maintaining our core areas of operation in Moncton, Fredericton, and Campbellton.
Why Our Multi-Location Presence Matters
Our unique approach offers an employee experience that breaks away from the traditional small business mold:
1. Not Your Average “Small Company”: While we may be classified as a small company, our multi-location presence sets us apart. We’re not confined to a single city or town, and that makes us different from the typical small business.
2. Diverse Opportunities: Our multi-location setup provides opportunities as diverse as the regions we operate in. You can be part of projects that vary from cityscapes to more rural settings, each with its unique set of challenges and rewards.
3. Centralized Resources: While our core areas are in Moncton, Fredericton, and Campbellton, we have resources, management, and support spread across these locations. This allows us to provide consistent services and support to all our teams.
In essence, our “small company” status doesn’t mean being confined to one city. We’re a small company that has expanded its reach, offering employees a unique blend of opportunities, experiences, and the chance to be part of something bigger.
4. Seasonal Employment
We emphasize that we do not engage in snow removal or other construction activities during the winter. We are entirely focused on our core projects, which are municipal infrastructure-related. Our employees dedicate their efforts during the construction season and may choose to rest during the winter months. Some opt for winter employment elsewhere, returning to our team in the spring.
While these issues and considerations are a part of our industry, they also present opportunities for personal and professional growth. At L.C.L. Excavation, we believe in fostering a supportive and engaging work environment that helps our employees overcome industry challenges while benefiting from unique opportunities for growth and development.